Monday, October 1, 2007

The Hospital

Tues morning, 9/25, I started having contractions. My sister came over and watched Matt while my mom took me to the hospital. Karl works a few miles from the hospital and met us there. I was reluctant to go at first but am glad I did because I was in labor. I was at 35 weeks...too early! My doctor initially wanted to let me go into labor but after telling him about our history with Matt he decided to give me medication to stop it. I was in the hospital for a week and just got home today. I am still on bed rest for another week but it is nice to be home. Karl and I feel very fortunate to have made it to 36 weeks and are viewing each additional day as bonus!
The hardest part for me was being away from Matt. I had never spent a night away from him. Karl brought him by often and we laid in bed together and watched Signing Time movies, played peek a boo with the curtain, spun him around on the doctor's stool and let him hide in the closet in the room. There is only so much in a hospital room to safely entertain an 18 month old!
I was on IV Magnesium for the first 24 hours. This is is a great medication to stop labor as it worked but the side effects are pretty nasty. I felt like I had the flu. I was weaned off the Magnesium and onto a pill which I took every 6 hours and has less side effects. I was given an injection of this med when contractions started between doses of the pill. The protocol is to stop all meds at 36 weeks so I was sent home today without any meds. So far I feel great! I'm still on bed rest so my parents and Louise are all taking shifts watching Matt. They think I will go into labor again any minute...Karl and I think ironically I will probably go past 41 weeks now!! We will see. Micah was 5 lbs 9 oz in an ultrasound done on Wed 9/26 in the hospital.
Karl got to spend a boys weekend with Matt. They went running, to the park, got haircuts and ran lots of errands. Take care everyone and maybe the next post will be about a new little boy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are being patient, BUT WE CAN'T WAIT FOR MICAH!!! Our bags are packed. We love you all very much!

Anonymous said...

Hi Andi, Karl, Matt, and Micah!!

It is Mary, Jeremy, Isak, and Lola! Melissa told me about your blog this morning! Good to hear that they were able to stop things!! That magnesium is some nasty stuff!! I also had terbutyline shots as well to stop labor and as everything was wearing off it left my arms numb! After Isak was born it was almost 4 hours before we got to see and touch him, yet I couldn't actually feel him because I was numb!! It was devestating!! I do agree each and every day counts!!! Isak was 98 days early and we took him home after 99 days....WAY too long to not have him home with us!! We are rooting for you guys to make if far enough to not have to do the NICU thing again!! Take care and good to be able to read about you!! We still keep Isak's site up www.caringbridge.org/visit/isakanderson
We also post pictures on http://andersonfamilymemories.shutterfly.com and the password is anderson

Take Care!
Love,
Jeremy, Mary, Isak, and Lola

Anonymous said...

Hello again!! Hope all is going well and hopefully Micah is still hanging out for as long as he can! Every day counts!! You are very blessed!! You are in our daily thoughts and prayers!! Can't wait to read of his arrival someday soon!

Take Care!
Jeremy, Mary, Isak, and Lola